Think you might be interested in joining the Travel Mamas Team? In 2013, TravelMamas.com expanded from stories written just by little ol’ me to include a fabulous group of travel bloggers. Each of us brings a unique voice, perspective and travel experience to the site. We are ready to grow our team again. If you love writing, photography, social media, and traveling with kids…read on!
Why Write for Travel Mamas
- Be one of a select number of bloggers writing for one of the world’s most popular family travel blogs. Travel Mamas currently receives 100,000+ page views per month and consistently ranks among the top 50 travel blogs according to Google Analytics data. With your help, I expect the site to continue to grow in popularity and reach.
- Ability to pitch travel companies (hotels, attractions, visitors bureaus) for discounted or “free” travel as a Travel Mamas contributor for pre-approved stories. (Remember: there is no such thing as a free lunch! You will need to write about these destinations on TravelMamas.com!)
- Receive invitations to attend press trips (sometimes with a guest).
- Potential to receive products for review and/or money related to some advertiser supported stories. (You should claim any income or complimentary goods received from Travel Mamas on your tax return.)
- Up to three links back to your personal blog and social media outlets will be included on the About Our Team page along with your photo and bio.
- Opportunity to include one link per post back to your own blog (as appropriate to the story).
Your Responsibilities as a Travel Mamas Contributor
- Pitch story ideas to me one month in advance for my approval.
- Enter one post (500-900 words) per month into WordPress by established due dates.
- Include three+ photos with captions in each blog post. Use your own photos (preferred), purchased photos, or Creative Commons photos, giving proper credit to the photographer.
- Share Travel Mamas stories (written by you and others) via social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.
- Promote your affiliation with Travel Mamas with an announcement post on your personal blog within one month of becoming a Travel Mamas contributor. Other occasional promotional posts as assigned.
- Commit to writing for Travel Mamas for at least six months. Either party can discontinue the relationship at any time, but I would like to work with bloggers who are committed to working together for at least this long.
Travel Bloggers Requirements
- You should have at least one child with whom you travel on a regular basis.
- Travel Mamas, Travel Daddies, Travel Aunties, Travel Grandmas, etc. are encouraged to apply. (I would LOVE to add a male contributor to our team, to bring an additional perspective to Travel Mamas!)
- You should be an active participant in social media.
- You should have excellent writing and editing skills. I do not want to spend a lot of time editing your posts!
- I prefer working with bloggers who have taken some formal writing classes.
- You must be an established blogger or journalist with clips.
- You should be comfortable posting in WordPress (or a similar blogging platform).
- If you cannot commit to writing one blog post per month for at least six months, please do not apply.
- You can reside anywhere, but I would like to build a diverse team from around the world.
How to Apply
- Send me an email by April 30, 2015.
- Include links to two of your best stories. If possible, the stories should be travel-related.
- Tell me in one sentence why you want to write for Travel Mamas.
- Give me your social media statistics (number of followers on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, etc.).
- Let me know about any creative writing or journalism classes you have taken. When and where?
- Tell me about the children with whom you travel (ages, genders and relationship to you).
- Tell me where have you traveled (with or without kids) in the last year.
- Send me four story ideas: a title plus a sentence or two of description for each idea.
Thank you so much for your interest in contributing to TravelMamas.com! If you don’t hear back from me, you can assume we’re not a good match. I can’t wait to hear from you!